Getting the facts straight?

So today I hope to be done with the quantitative/empirical part of my analysis.

I am scrolling through loads and loads of newspaper/media articles published in Africa/Europe and the United States in the past 7 months and that in a way or another refer to IC.

I hope to be able to identity trends (or at least correlation) either by region, or by media type ( I did split it up by college/university newspapers, local newspapers, newswires, large-circulation newspapers and others).

I'm looking into which articles state the same information as IC about the conflict in Uganda (Joseph Kony = abducted children), which articles offer a more complex overview of the conflict, which ones only talk about IC's successes, awareness campains, movie screenings, etc.

My empirical observations will be posted soon, I hope... but in the meantime, I couldn't help it and needed share something that astounded me.


I was reading a feature about actress Olivia Wilde published in Irish Times on December 18 2010.

Ok so far, nothing to do with IC. Wait.

To illustrate how she thinks that her generation is cosmopolitan, educated on global issues and compassionate, she refers to IC:

"I am part of a generation that finds activism compelling and defining. Obama's success proves that people can change things. It's not just about voting any more. There are a great many philanthropic organisations that are youth led and run. That's something new. Think of Invisible Children , which is out there dealing with the war in northern Rwanda. For all the political gloom wonderful things are happening. And that sort of inspiring ingenuity is a product of this generation."

Northern Rwanda? Hum.

That's news to me... I though it had started in Northern Uganda and then spread to Congo and Sudan.

Note to newspaper editors : check your facts before you publish citations....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... that not only shows fact-checking was not done before publishing, but also that Olivia Wilde herself has no idea what she's talking about... Either she spoke carelessly, making a cavalier reference to IC or IC itself is not doing its job educating their audience. From what I can tell through this project, the latter is definitely true.

asukisushi said...

This is a shocking piece of news - definitely both sides need to take responsibility with regards to the "uncritical advocacy" that we discussed in last class. Media is a powerful tool to spread ideas and information, and once combined with the publicity of celebrities, its impact to the society becomes even more significant. For example I found a blog by a person who was inspired by Olivia Wilde's tweet on IC. She did not mention that it was about Rwanda though. She specifically mentions that the donations go to Uganda. Just on a side note - the way she addressed her audience to visit the IC's 6 minute video that gives the gist of 25 Campaign seems to suggest something about the general attention span of the public to get information these days. How can media strike a balance between the clarity/speed of the message while being critical?

Post a Comment